For the Week of November 23, 2015
by Rubel Shelly
Gracious God, Giver of Every Good Gift,
We acknowledge that life, health, and joy
• Are your pleasant favors to us.We affirm your greatness at sunrise and sunset,
• Thus we thank you for parents, mates, and children,
• For siblings, friends, and colleagues who bless our lives.
• Praise you for productive days and the sweet rest that follows.We understand that work, responsibility, and the power to earn
• Yours is the glory and honor and majesty
• In all the things we seek and enjoy and savor.
• Are granted to us by your sovereign goodness.We also recognize the deep distress that life brings to all
• We praise you for all that has been provided to us
• And for all you have enabled us to provide for others.
• In the forms of loss and illness, lack and heartache. We sense your strength when we are at our weakest,
• While these are neither your intent nor work in our lives,
• Even there we honor you for your faithfulness as our God.
• And we experience your fullness best in our emptiness.If we sensed no pain, would we flee to you for comfort?
• Thus we dare to sing in prison cells and laugh at death,
• For you are the God of life beyond these mortal limitations.
• If no imperfection, could we marvel at your excellence?On this Thanksgiving Day, then, we thank you for sunshine and storm,
• If no insecurity, would we worship any gods but ourselves?
• If no sting of sin, would we ever seek the path of redemption?
• For Eden that gave us a glimpse of your beauty and holiness,Whatever the life situation with any one of us today,
• For Egypt that made us desire a Land of Promise,
• For Gethsemane that revealed to us a sympathetic High Priest.
• Teach us the spirit of thanksgiving and gratitude and joy.In the Blessed and Holy Name of Jesus our Savior we pray. Amen.
• For all that we have and hope for, we praise you;
• For all that compels us to seek you, we praise you even more.